A message for Autumn 2
Welcome back Year 1!
We hope you have all had a wonderful half term break with your families making lots of memories. We can't wait to get started with a new half term, we have lots of exciting things planned.
This half term our focus is a history topic, where we will be investigating and exploring information and artefacts to find out whose toys are better, the children’s or their grandparents’. We’re starting this topic of by creating our very own toy museum in the classroom, (pictures to follow once complete). We will be exploring how toys have changed over time and how they have evolved to reflect the era of life that we live in. We will discover which toys are timeless and are still played with today.
In English, we will be continuing to focus on sequences sentences to re-tell a story – making sure we always use capital letters, finger spaces and full stops. We will also be learning about what words the author uses to allow the reader to imagine the story, our first text is ‘Old Bear’. During Science this half term, we will be learning about the human body and will be able to name the different body parts and describe their function. We will be carrying out lots of investigations to answer questions like, ‘Do the tallest children have the biggest feet?’ and ‘Do all children have brown hair?’. In PE we will be learning how to control a ball in different ways to allow it to travel and to hit a target. We will also be completing our first Yoga unit, allowing the children to strengthen their mind and body.
Just a few little reminders:
- We have an outdoor playtime each morning where the children will have access to fruit, however if you wish to send your child into school with their own fruit you can.
- Clearly labelled water bottles need to be in school everyday.
- Please remember to label all belongings to hopefully stop things getting lost.
- Remember to check dojo messages/stories for updates.
- Any questions please do not hesitate to ask.
Mrs Collins & Mrs Brookes x